Thursday, October 10, 2013

No Weigh In

Since I'm doing the 20 day challenge, I've decided to trust calorie counting. As long as I'm not going over my calories, there's no reason I shouldn't be losing 1-2 pounds a week, so I've decided to not weigh myself until the end of the challenge. This will be really hard since I usually weigh myself at least twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed. I'm resisting the urge right now, because I know I've done we'll with my eating and it always feels good to see the numbers going down. I will resist though. 

I read a few health blogs and one of the questions I see over and over again is "How late do you eat your last meal?"  I think people ask this because of the study that came out in 2009 that showed that mice that ate during their normal sleep time (since they're nocturnal, this would have been during the day!) had a 48% increase in body weight. The problem with this study is that it's never been replicated in humans and that it doesn't take into consideration eating calories evenly spread out through the day. 

From my experience, it's not what time I eat that causes over eating, it's waiting until I'm starving or getting overly tired that increases the amount I eat. If I'm tired, my body needs energy, and it seeks that energy in food and THAT will cause me to over eat. I'm a firm believer that eating less calories than your body uses in a day will always (metabolic issues aside) result in weight loss. It's that simple...eat less, move more. I've found that for me, as long as I eat evenly throughout the day (not hoarding all of my calories for the end of the day), that it doesn't matter how late I eat. Sometimes we don't have dinner until 8pm! 

2 days down, 18 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment