Thursday, July 3, 2014

The roof, the roof...

...the roof is on fire. Well, not the roof, but my stove was!  Ugh. I had to eat crow yesterday. I'm always getting after my husband for leaving dish towels and pot holders on the stove. It's a bad habit and a fire safety issue.  Well yesterday, while I was cooking, I accidentally left a glass lid on a burner...AND I forgot to turn off the burner!  

The recipe I was making called for rice to be cooked for 5 minutes and then drained and added to a pan of chicken curry. I used pulled the rice off the stove to drain it and forgot to turn off the burner. Then after using the lid to drain it, I placed the lid on the lit burner while I poured the rice into the skillet. About 10 minutes later, my husband was in the other room and said he smelled plastic burning. I looked back at the stove and the lid was on fire!  I went to go grab the lid, but the handle was completely melted  and had dripped onto the burner itself which was on fire.  I grabbed a pot holder and picked the lid up from the side and placed it in the sink (disposal side). It was on fire, so I turned on the water to put it out and the glass shattered...going into the disposal. At this point the burner was still in fire, so I started pulling off the pieces and throwing them in th sink too and dousing with water.  It was all a mess. We spent the rest of the night scraping plastic off of all the metal and the hubs had to take apart the disposal to get the glass out. Lesson learned. (The hubs did feel the need to point out that I always get after him for leaving stuff on the stove. Touché.)
 
On a happier note, the baby slept in this morning until 5:52 AM and I made it to the gym!!  I managed a 2 mile run and 30 minute walk. I may attempt some yoga this afternoon while the baby naps and see if my daughter wants to do it with me!

Meals today were (will be)...bananas and peanut butter and chocolate for breakfast, left over curry and steak for lunch, and BBQ ribs, baked potatoe and corn on the cob for dinner. These are pretty hefty meals, so I'm really going to try and keep snacking to a minimum. 

My goals for the month were run 3
Times a week, and no alcohol for a week. I'm on track with both, but I'm considering extending the no alcohol to the whole month!  Yikes!  We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment