Monday, December 23, 2013

I do not fear the pain

I know for a lot of people, the discomfort of working out is a huge obstacle to getting healthy.  That's not the case for me.  I've always enjoyed the sore muscles.  For me, it's a sign that I pushed myself.  Now, I'm not talking about injury pain, I've been through that.  I mean sore muscle pain.  However, I've never extended this feeling to lung pain...until now.

I've always hated how my lungs burn after a run.  It was uncomfortable, and it's held me back from really pushing myself until recently.  I read an article on Runs For Cookies where she talks about running in the cold and burning lungs.  It got me thinking more about why they "burn", and not just when running in the cold, but anytime you push yourself.  It dawned on me that lungs are a muscle, and when you use those muscles more than you do normally, you are exercising that muscle.  The lung pain is just like any other muscle pain.  It's a sign that I pushed myself, and that I can be proud of!

On a side note, I'm also proud of my after run snack.  I'm such a cookie/carb addict and it's normally my go-to snack.  Yesterday though, I grabbed an apple instead!  And for that, I'm going to give myself a pat on the back.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment