Friday, December 27, 2013

Binge Control

Today my soul focus was on not binging at work. One of my binge triggers is chocolate, and there's a 10 POUND, yes, POUND bar in the kitchen at work. One of our consultants is from Hershey, PA and brought it with her when she was here last week for the holiday party. 

I did well in the morning. I had an egg mcmuffin and I think the protein helped me from having an oatmeal carb crash (my normal breakfast). 

When I started to get hungry around 10:30, I allowed myself one serving of tortilla chips and salsa, which was left over from yesterday's lunch. The salsa was so spicy hot, it staved off a binge episode. 

Around 12:30, I decided to try the Fresh market near my work and chose brown rice sushi and a small container of cucumber salad. This grocery was a good find as it will always have healthy options for when I don't bring my lunch to work. 

After the sushi (which was pretty flavorless, I should have went with the white rice), I wasn't satisfied. I was full, but not taste bud satisfied and the chocolate called to me. 

I got a glass of water (my 6th glass by this time), and tried to postpone the binge I could feel coming on. After the water, I still wanted the chocolate. I decided to pump (I'm still nursing my son) and listen to my Quit Binge Eating podcast. This postponed it for a little while, but I finally gave in to one piece of chocolate. 

As I was eating the one piece, I realized I was craving another...while I was still chewing the first piece!  I found myself grabbing another piece and I looked around the kitchen for a solution. I ate a tortilla chip to get the sweet taste out of my mouth, hoping that would help. Nope. Then I looked at the coffee pot. I decided to stick the piece of chocolate that was in my hand in a coffee cup, and poor coffee over top. This have me a little of the chocolate taste, and the time it took to drink the coffee was enough time to avoid a major binge. So, while I didn't have the control to not eat two pieces of chocolate, I did come up with a Now solution that made me stop the binge. 

Im happy I didn't binge. I'm going to try this technique next time and see if it works again!

No comments:

Post a Comment