Sunday, December 22, 2013

Something To Talk About

For years I never discussed weight and foods with my daughter. Well, at least not in any real context. We talked about healthy foods verses unhealthy foods and being able to identify them. Fruits and vegetables were healthy, bacon and salami were not healthy. That was the extent of our conversations. I also didn't use the word "fat" around her. I didn't want to perpetuate the body image issues that are so prevalent in our media.

My intentions were good. However, over the years, I've realized how little I, myself, knew about health. As I learned more, I realized that I would have had a much easier, healthier road if I were taught these things growing up. So, I changed my stance. I realized I needed to prepare her for a healthy life. So we began to talk. We talked about foods, calories as energy, micro (Vitamins) AND macro nutrients (protein vs carbohydrates). We talked about how each affects insulin levels and how insulin affects how you feel. We started talking about BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate - the caloric intake your body needs to function just to keep your heart, kidneys, liver, etc working properly...if you just laid in bed all day).  We even calculated her BMR. Then I taught her about TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure - the amount of calories needed to walk to the refrigerator, take a shower, play a game, read, ride her bike...basically anything other than just sleeping). Then we talked about how much energy (calories) were needed to do each activity. We talked about how heart rate rises and falls with each activity. I put on my heart rate monitor and showed her my heart rate as I laid down. Then I stood up and showed her how it raised a little because standing takes more energy than lying. Then I walked and showed her how it raised again, then ran and showed her how it raised more. Then I stopped, an she saw how it lowered as less energy was expended. We talked about heart rate and calories and how they were both measurements of energy expended. 

Lastly, I introduced her to choices. She now had her TDEE, and we talked about dividing them up over the day to give us energy when we'll need it. We talked about snacks and how they help keep your insulin levels from spiking. We also talked about how protein was a longer lasting fuel than carbohydrates, and would keep her insulin more leveled, but how carbohydrates were good quick burned fuel if she needed energy fast. So we talked about balance....the need for protein AND carbohydrates..AND EVEN fats (fat is essential for brain function).  I explained to her that living in a very wealthy country meant that she would have an abundance of options...and she would have to make choices from those options. 

We now put our lessons into our lives. When we go out to eat we talk about our days activity plan. Will it be a lazy movie day, or will we be going to the park to play?  How will we need to fuel that activity?  Once we have a targeted calorie range, we talk about what she wants to eat. When she wanted the chocolate chip pancakes, I said ok. How much of it can you have?  When she found out that half of the pancake would be her total breakfast calories, they didn't look as appealing. She wanted the whole pancake. I then reminded her that a pancake doesn't have any protein, and we could also take this as an opportunity to get in some fruits or vegetables.  The more we looked at the menu, I geared her towards the silver dollar pancakes. I told her I would split the order with her, and we could add fresh strawberries on top and add the turkey bacon.

We now continue to do this with most meals. With going out to eat, we try to incorporate one healthy with one treat. For example, if she gets the chicken tenders (she is still a kid!), then she gets a Caesar salad with it instead of the fries. If she really wants fries, then she can get them and have the tomato soup instead of the tenders. 

The important thing isn't which combination she chooses, or if she chooses right 100% of the time. The important part is that I'm providing her the tools she needs to live a healthy, long life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment