Sunday, September 22, 2013

A Good Good Day

This morning I woke up still tired. I laid in bed for a few minutes reading and then decided to just put my running clothes on. I figured I was more likely to go for a run if I was dressed. I then went downstairs and put my running shoes on. I still wasn't awake yet, so I made the hubs and myself a cup of coffee. That worked!  I was now motivated to run. Before I left the house, I ran back upstairs and laid my daughter's running clothes out, and then stopped by her play room and told her that I'd be back in 26 minutes (what I estimated I could run 2 miles in) and that I wanted her to be dressed and ready to run when I got back. 

My 2 mile run was all over the place. I decided to run for 5 minutes at a sub 11:00/mi pace, and then walk for a minute...run another 5 minutes and then walk. I wanted to go by time instead of distance because I found myself walking too much when I was using 1/4 mile splits. On the second run, I found my pace had dropped to a 12:00/mi and I was losing steam. I told myself that if I pushed myself, I could walk at the 4 minute marker, instead of the 5. This worked, and I was able to increase my pace to a 9:54/mi. As I reached my 3rd sprint, I hit the part of the trail that has a small hill. Last Saturday, this hill killed my pace. I decided to exert a little more effort, but was sure I had dropped down to a 12:00/mi. When I looked down at my GPS, I was surprised to see I was running around a 9:20/mi!  I was able to hold that for about another minute before I had to walk again. The last mile was uneventful. My lungs were on fire, and my legs were tired. I decided to just run it at a comfortable pace, but I pushed myself to run just a little further every time I wanted to walk. 

When I got back to the house, I ditched the fleece I wore; I had to take it off and tie it around my waist halfway into the run because it was too warm for it once I started running; and picked up my daughter (who was dressed, but hadn't managed to get her shoes on during my 26 minute run, due to her watching Jesse). 

I reset the GPS, started the stop watch, and we were off!  I told her that her last longest run time was 1:25 and that she didn't have to beat it on the first lap...to maybe shoot for a 1:10 for a warm up. She has other plans though, and ran the first bit in 1:38!  We walked a minute between runs, and the next run she went even longer. We continued each run with a minute break in between. Her longest being 1:49.9. She was so tickled with herself!  The whole route was 0.83 miles and she ran for about 13 1/2 minutes. She's definitely improving, and is still loving it!  As her conditioning gets better, her form is getting better too. She no longer runs head down, leaning forward. We've been practicing running with our head up and shoulders back. She now looks strong when she runs!


We got back in time to shower and make it to church. Though, the run did wear her out because she fell asleep in church for about 5 minutes before I woke her up. 

Since I hadn't been doing very well with my diet the past few days, I wanted to eat healthier. I made a salad with some left over steak we had from dinner the night before. It was just spinach, mushrooms, feta and steak, with balsamic glaze for the dressing. It was soooo good!


I measured out 2 ounces of farfalle (bow tie) pasta and defrosted some homemade marinara sauce from the freezer. It was such an easy, yet decadent lunch. 

The rest of the afternoon was spent outside with the kids. I'm holding to my commitment to my daughter to let her play outside everyday. Around 4pm, the baby was getting restless and needed a nap. I was hoping that if I put him in his stroller and walked him, that he would fall asleep. As I was getting the stroller ready, I saw that the neighbor Jen and her little girl had just come outside. So I invited them to take a walk to the park with us. The kids rode their bikes, and we walked behind them. It was nice getting to know the neighbor a little better. She seems very nice. She's a little more reserved than I am, but her parenting style is very similar (read cautious) as mine, so I very much appreciate it. 

After about 20 minutes at the park, the kids were bored and wore out, so we went back home. By this time, I was tired, the baby was STILL tired (he never fell asleep!), and I was getting the beginnings of an allergy headache so I put myself and the baby down for a nap, and set the girl child up with some crayons and paper. 

Overall, it was a good good day full of activity and fun!

What's your favorite decadent lunch?  Something that you don't normally make at lunch time, but do when you want to treat yourself?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment