Monday, September 2, 2013

No Spend Weekend

Well, not totally true, we did have to minimally spend on groceries and a few odds and ends that were on our list, but we scrutinized (and compromised) what we spent and tried to keep it as low as possible. You see, my husband is a shopper, he LOVES to shop, and I enjoy shopping in the moment.  Though, after shopping, I always have buyers remorse.

Often our weekends consist of shopping; buying things we think we need.  After a full day of shopping, we go out to eat.  These are actually the things we have in common...we're shoppers, foodies, and drinkers...we love a good beer or wine!  The way we shop is different though. 

I will buy 10 outfits from Old Navy for $100 total....he'll buy a pair of jeans for $200.  I grew up, not just poor, but in poverty in the U.S....he grew up middle class in England.  Even after I went to college and made a decent salary, I never had money to just go in and buy what I want from high end stores.  He graduated college, spent his next 20 years chasing his career, and climbed very high.  By the time we married, he had already saved 20% for a down payment on a house with a nice reserve, maxed out his 401K, and still had plenty of money to buy what he wanted, when he wanted, and to travel on whim.  Since he didn't have a family to buy for, he bought high end, and never thought twice about it.  He also never had debt....never.  He even bought his car in cash.  Then...he got married.

He now has a wife and 2 kids, and currently, I'm out of work for a year while I stay home with our youngest until he's one.  For the first time ever, he has to budget.  I always feel guilty pointing this out.  I still feel like it's HIS money not ours, though he's always tries to make me feel like it is ours.  Normally, I'll gently remind him that we don't really need this or that, but this month is different.  This month we have more on our Credit Card than we do in our Checking account (we still have savings, but the goal is to use that to save and live within our means).  This month has been expensive.  We had a nice holiday for 10 days in England AND I paid the hospital bill for the birth of our son....all on the credit card.  We normally launder everything through the credit card to get free air miles.  When we pay it off every month, twice a month, it is financially smart.  However, not being able to pay it off bi-weekly is a steep slope to financial danger.  So, we are determined to nip it in the butt.  We've committed to absolute necessary spending only, until it's paid off and our checking account is replenished.

Since we're not spending, we're not going out to eat!  Wahoooo....it's been amazing for my diet!  When I cook at home, I always cook healthier than when I eat out, and the scales show it this morning!  I'm down a pound from the two I've gained over the past month, so I'm only now up one.  I'm hoping this will be the push I need to get back on track with counting calories and eating healthy.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment