Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I Scream

I took my car in to get fixed...again. They wanted to replace the rotors for $600. I told them that the car only has 30k miles, and I thought they should turn them instead. Mechanics are always surprised when I know their job. I don't look like someone who spent 5 years in the Army as a mechanic. 

The service manager told me that they don't have a lathe, so all they can do is replace them. I decided that I'll take my car back to Carmax and have them fix it. It's supposed to be "certified" pre-owned...we'll see how they hold up to their certification. 

I got home around 10:30...too early for lunch, but I was ravenous. I ate some red bell pepper with fat free ranch...still hungry. Then a banana...still hungry. A cheese stick...still hungry. I wanted ice cream!  I've resisted the gallon in the freezer that the husband brought home last week for as long as I could. I decided to allow myself to eat some if I measured it out and counted the calories. I added chocolate syrup and walnuts and counted them too. It was soooo good, and satisfied me. 

After my daughter finished her homework, we started her training program. She got her stopwatch and started it and ran for as long as she could. I let her lead and I just ran behind with he baby in his running stroller. Her first run was for 1:09 (one minute, 9 seconds). She walked for about a minute, and then she started the time again and ran for about another minute. I tried to tell her to take the run easy and just jog...to try not to run as fast as she could. She ran again about another minute and we were at the park. I let her play for as long ass she wanted at the park. When we were leaving, I showed her her longest run time of 1:09 and asked her if she thought she could beat it. She started her watch and ran, looking at it every so often and then stopped at exactly 1:10. She was proud she beat her time. I asked her if she thought she could beat her new long time, she started her watch and ran. When she came close to beating it, I said just 10 more seconds and started counting down from 10...slowly. This time she ran 1:19...I praised her and she was soooo proud of herself. We were almost home, and I asked her if she wanted to try and beat it again. She was excited and took off. We ran and ran, until we were coming up on 1:19. I asked her if she thought she could keep running until the bottom of the small hill and she said I think so. And she did. She stopped at 1:25. She was so happy with herself. We talked about trying to beat that next time. Overall, it was better than I had hoped for. She enjoyed herself. She was proud of herself. I realized that she is as competitive with herself as I am with myself. It was a great experience, and best of all, she wants to do it again!

This is the area where we ran today. It's a pretty park. 

The run we are doing together has free T-shirts, but no medals because it's only 1 mile. So after our run today, I found a website that custom makes medals. They're metal and only $4 each and you can have them engraved!  I got her and myself one with the year, race name, distance, and our names engraved on it. She's going to be so excited to wear it around Chicago afterwards!

My daughter started Girl Scouts today.  I've volunteered to be a co-leader and our first meeting was tonight. She had fun seeing all the girls (she knew them from going to public school with them last year, and was excited to see them again). When we got home, the hubs showed me a rash he has on his stomach, arms, and legs. The rash, along with the sore throat he's had for 3 days, and the fever he's had for 2, tells me that he has Strep. I'm making him go to the doctor tomorrow. I just hope he doesn't pass it to us...especially the baby. :-(

Have you ever ran with your kids?  How do you handle sweet cravings?

No comments:

Post a Comment