Saturday, September 7, 2013

Binge Triggers

It's been a rough day. I was up more than usual with the baby last night, then my daughter had the early soccer game. I've felt sluggish all day. I even took a 2 hour nap and woke up still having problems focusing. Then I started getting a sinus headache and it all made sense. Today was a high pollen day.

I'm a severe allergy sufferer. It's one of my binge triggers.  When I'm suffering from allergies, I usually get a headache and feel nauseous. I eat because it relieves the nausea...but only temporarily, while I'm physically eating. So as soon as I've eaten one thing, I feel nauseous again, and I have to eat again...immediately. I continue eating until I'm miserably full and have to go sleep it off. Sometimes I'll actually eat consciously to go to sleep. 

I've been aware of my allergies as a trigger for about 2 years now. I hate taking medication, so I often wait until it's too late. Today, I recognized it and took a Sudafed. The problem is it takes awhile for the Sudafed to kick in...and it can dry up my milk, so I try not to take it too often.  While I wait for the medicine to kick in, I decided to try something I learned on Runs For Cookies (http://www.runsforcookies.com/?m=1) blog. She feeds the binge...one craving and one serving at a time. So I measured out one serving and ate it, once I was finished, I put the timer on to wait 10 minutes and reevaluate if I'm still hungry. I was still hungry, so I laid down for another nap/rest. 

My allergies affect my weight a lot, both by what I eat, and my activity level. When my allergies are acting up, I don't feel like going outside, being active, or doing anything for that matter. I just want to sleep.  

We went to a new restaurant tonight that was on a small lake. It's an old resort restaurant. The resort is long gone, but the restaurant remains. They serve Polish cuisine. If you know anything about Polish food, then you know it's heavy, stick to your ribs kind of food. I settled on a broiled fish platter because I only had 300 calories left for the day. 😞  It was flavorless. The rice was gross, so I decided to skip it and only ate a little of the coleslaw. Even doing that, I still went over my allowed calories. 










 


Do you have allergies?  Does it affect your weight or eating?

No comments:

Post a Comment