Thursday, September 5, 2013

Naive.

Today I spent 3 hours in training on how to spot/prevent sexual molestation....and the training was at a Catholic Church. I.Kid.You.Not. 

My daughter goes to Catholic school and anyone that comes in contact with the children are required to take this class. I'm guessing it's a new mandate since the whole pedophilia scandal rocked the church. I volunteer as a lunch monitor, so I had to take the class. 

It was actually very informative and touched on a lot of different types of dangers. One of the subjects was Internet danger. I explained how our wifi is password protected so that our daughter can't connect without us being right there with her. One of the other moms stated that she trusts her children. She's set rules and expects them to follow them. Her argument was that her kids will experience the real world and she feels it's important that they learn how to navigate it and make good decisions. It took everything in my power to bite my tongue. I'm not quite sure how old her kids are, but the school only goes up to 8th grade, so that's the max age. I hold the opposite view. As good as my kid is, she's a kid. Kids make mistakes, and there's just some mistakes I wouldn't put her in a position to make. 

Being in training during what is normally my gym time meant that I didn't work out today. I considered going after I picked my daughter up from school, but she wasn't feeling going to their childcare, so we just went home. I need to make it a point to go tomorrow morning or I know I won't go. 

I've done okay with food. I felt a little binge-y after dinner, so I decided to sip on an ounce of Amaretto over ice. Mmmmm. 

Here's today's damage:




So, I'm curious, do you trust your children?  What's your media philosophy when it comes to your children?  

 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment