Monday, September 9, 2013

DEEP Breath

I need to...stop wearing flip flops, stretch my feet....lose weight. Yeah, that last one is probably the best solution. My arches are tender again after yesterday's long walk.  I swam again today. I absolutely love swimming for exercise, except that I have to dry and straighten my hair. I hate spending any time on my hair. Unfortunately, I was cursed with curly, frizzy hair.

I used to think that people who swam for exercise were cheating themselves out of a good workout. I had always went swimming for fun with the kids, never actually swimming laps. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I took water aerobics and didn't feel like I got much of a workout. The class was full of older women who took the class more for socialization than exercise, so I never realized how much exercise swimming can be until my in laws came and stayed with us for a month.

I was 3 months postpartum and we would go to the gym everyday. They would swim laps and I would walk and lift weights. One day I decided to swim laps with them. They told me that they swim 1/2 mile, so I was determined to do that too. I mean, if they could, then I could. Woah. I struggled. I was so wore out that I needed a nap!  All I wanted to do was sleep the rest of the day. When I put my activity into MyFitnessPal, I saw that it burned as many calories as running!  Since then, I've been swimming on my non running days. 

I've resisted putting my weight on here because quite frankly, I'm embarrassed by it. However, it wouldn't be a health / weight loss blog without it. So here goes nothing. 



There it is. This is from this morning's weigh in.  

The highest recorded weight I have is 248 and was recorded a week before I had my son (I'm sure I weighed more than that when I gave birth). He's now 7 months old. That means I've lost 50 lbs!  I'm also now out of the 2...somethingoranother. I had plateaued for a month and was dying to get out of the 2xxs. I'm also now just 6 lbs away from my pre pregnancy weight of 192. I'm very excited about this, but I've still got a LONG way to go. 

I've been working on setting some goals for myself as motivation. I'd like to set both weight and non weight related goals. I'm going to work on that and hopefully post it soon!

I won't bore you with the details (unless someone wants me to post my full food & exercise log, instead I'll just post the summary. 
 

Do goals motivate you or just frustrate you?  What are some goals you have set for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment